centre building (WHITE HOUSE)
The historic restoration project is a limited restoration of portions of the historic Centre Building in downtown El Paso that was an outgrowth of the tenant improvements for the new downtown Starbucks location that was is now occupying one of the renovated storefronts to the building. The historic 1912 structure was designed by architect Henry Trost who was one of the early pioneers in the use of reinforced concrete. Originally the building was built as the White House Department Store and the Hotel McCoy.
The project restored the pedestrian connections to the storefronts of the Centre Building with alterations to two storefront bays and the addition of new entry doors. Additionally, the project replaced the fabric awnings of a lower profile that were more typical of the historic period when the building was built. The new awnings help open the visual connection between interior and exterior at the storefronts.
Most significantly, the project restored a historic cast marquise designed by Henry Trost for the main entry to the building. The original marquise was not extent, so In*Situ used Trost's original construction drawings for the building, along with historic photos of the marquise as built to reinterpret Trost's original design intent in a contemporary casting process. The final piece was cast in aluminum and treated with a patina process to resemble a historic bronze cast.
The project was awarded an AIA Honor Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation by the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 2013.
Location: El Paso, Texas
Services: Complete Architectural Service including Construction,
Restoration of The Historic Facade & Marquise
Program: Tenant Improvement
Award: AIA Design Award – Honor Award, 2013